Monday, February 02, 2009

I'm Blu-ray Batman

I've always enjoyed the Tim Burton Batman movie, and it even merited repeat viewings at the cinema which is the only time that's happened. As such when it came out of VHS I bought it straight away and when it and I made the transition to DVD I picked it up again. At that point the mistake became clear because for reasons that still confound me they'd stuck the 4:3 full-screen version on the DVD.

Then a deluxe version came out, I was still sans a reliable internet connection at the time, but even then not one of the online stores would inform if it was 4:3 or 16:9; and amazingly I couldn't find a single bricks 'n' mortar store selling it.

So now it's appearing on Blu-ray and at last at least one online place, Play, is letting me know that it's 1.85:1; (Amazon not bothering) huzzah! So should I buy it?

Well no. See it's £13, in fact all four are £13 each making a grand total of £52; not huge money but when you consider that all four are being released in one big "Batman Legacy" pack in the middle of March for £35 brakes need to be applied. Add in the fact I've yet to pick up an HD TV and it's a little pointless.

Now don't get me wrong I'm happy to pay full price for something if I think it'll encourage the producers/distributors to produce more of it (The Doctor Who E-Space trilogy for example, a distribution that's been bouncing around with little rhyme or reason), but I think paying £17 more for the privilege of getting them a bit earlier is a bit much.

That said at least the collection has been announced, nothing worse than buying a bunch of separates only to find a cheaper pack gets released just after the last individual one often with special extras not on the originals; the bar-stewards.

0 comments: